Welcome to the Prostate Cancer Institute and the medical office of Dr. George M. Suarez. We provide complete prostate cancer care. We have developed the most comprehensive program for diagnosing, staging, using genetic markers for risk stratification, and developing treatment options for prostate cancer. We are also pioneers in using high intensity focus ultrasound (HIFU) to target and treat prostate cancer.
What Is Prostate Cancer?
Prostate cancer in men occurs when normal cells within the prostate gland mutate into harmful cancer cells. While no one knows what causes prostate cancer, the truth remains that it’s very common and, when caught early, is very treatable. Some prostate cancer statistics state that 1 in 6 American men will experience some form of prostate cancer in their lifetime and that the vast majority of cases are not fatal. Treatment is determined by the stage or progression of the disease. Prostate cancer stages are determined by the size and location of the tumor and whether or not it has spread to lymph nodes or other parts of the body. Doctors use clinical exams and pathology to determine prostate cancer stages, determine a prognosis, and then plan treatment accordingly.
At the Prostate Cancer Institute, it’s our mission to obtain precise diagnostic information on each patient and then develop a customized treatment program that provides maximum cancer control and minimum lifestyle impact. Our 5-point prostate cancer treatment program is critical to our success. For each patient, we work to provide the following:
- Unique advanced diagnosis. We utilize the most advanced diagnostic tools for the greatest accuracy in diagnosing and staging.
- In-house biopsy and pathology results. Our team of pathologists is second to none.
- Genetic testing. In addition to tumor grade and clinical stage, a genetic test (biochemical tumor markers) can assist in predicting the prognosis, clinical course of the disease and urgency of treatment.
- Advanced HIFU techniques. HIFU, a class of radiotherapy techniques, is on the cutting edge of prostate cancer treatments.
- 15-point approach to personal care. We recognize that, every prostate cancer is different, and each man has very different concerns, needs and expectations, so each prostate treatment plan should be just as different and unique. Our caregivers will discuss your prostate cancer prognosis with you in detail and make certain you understand your condition and the available treatment options.
In addition to this 5-point treatment program, each of our patients benefits from full concierge service and has access to our providers 24/7.
The Prostate Cancer Institute is a full-service prostate care center. As such, our services include the following:
- Prostate cancer screening. Regular prostate exams and prostate cancer tests are critical to the diagnosis of early stage prostate cancer, and, when it comes to prostate cancer, early detection is key.
- Prostate cancer treatments. The different stages of prostate cancer require different treatment protocols. We offer a variety of prostate cancer treatment options, including HIFU, cryotherapy, surgery, radiation, and active surveillance. The right treatment is the one that will best meet your needs and the stage of your disease. While HIFU may be the ideal treatments for localized prostate cancer, surgery and radiation may be the best course for cancer that has spread. Our providers will work carefully to develop a protocol that fits your situation and the progression of your cancer.
George M. Suarez, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.P. Is a board-certified urologist. Dr. Suarez completed his training in general surgery at Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, and his urology residency and fellowship at Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana. He has received numerous awards around the world for his pioneering research into the care and treatment of prostate cancer. Dr. Suarez has performed more HIFU procedures than any other doctor in the world and has trained over 400 doctors in HIFU procedures. He is passionate about providing his patients with superior care.