George M. Suarez, M.D. F.A.C.S., F.A A.P.
Founder and Medical Director, Emeritus, USHIFU, Sonacare Medical
International HIFU Centers
HIFU EXPERTS IN MIAMI
George M. Suarez, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.P. is a board-certified urologist who practices in Miami, Florida, and is a former faculty member of the University of Miami department of Urology. Dr Suarez completed his training in general surgery at Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, and his urology residency and fellowship at Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana.
He has received numerous awards including the S.E.S American Urology Association prestigious Montague Boyd award for excellence in research and the 2016 Miami Herald Healthcare Visionary Award.
He is an active member of numerous medical societies including the Societe Internationale D’Urologie, the European Urology Association, the New York Academy of Sciences and the American Urologic Association. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Dr. George Suarez Accomplishments:
- Dr. Suarez has performed more HIFU procedures than any other doctor in the world
- Designed and developed the first HIFU system
- Performed the first HIFU treatment in North America
- From 2001 to 2003, was the only Doctor in North America to perform HIFU
- Founder of SonaCare Medical, the manufacturer of Sonablade HIFU and innovator of the latest technological advances to the system
- Served as Medical Director of Sonacare Medical FDA trial and approval process.
- Authored the physician training manual for the HIFU device
- Founder and president of the International HIFU Society, a 501(c)3 not for profit established in 2004 that serves as the credentialing organization for HIFU trained physicians
- One of the very few urologists that is fully credentialed in Sonacare’s Sonablate and in EDAP’s Ablatherm HIFU devices
- The 2016 Miami Herald’s Visionary Award recipient in medicine for his accomplishment in HIFU receiving FDA approval
- Has personally trained over 500 doctors throughout the world in how to use HIFU technology
- Former faculty member of the University of Miami Health System’s department of urology
- Pioneer in the field of urology
In addition to a urology practice that extends over 20 years, Dr. Suarez was instrumental in the development and evolution of HIFU as a revolutionary technology in the treatment of prostate cancer. Dr. Suarez oversaw the clinical trial that garnered FDA-approval of HIFU in the United States, providing American men a non-invasive option to treat their prostate cancer.
Dr. Suarez established the first HIFU center of The Americas at the Universidad Madre y Maestra School of Medicine in Santiago, Dominican Republic in 2002, and was the first American urologist to clinically practice HIFU outside the FDA clinical trial sites. Shortly thereafter, he and business partners founded USHIFU and the International HIFU Centers which currently operate throughout Canada, Mexico, South and Central America, the Bahamas and South Africa. Under Dr Suarez’s guidance, USHIFU and International HIFU Centers have provided training to over several hundred urologist and treated thousands of patients worldwide.
Dr. Suarez’s visionary and pioneer contributions to HIFU have been recognized in the media and in numerous publications. He has authored numerous writings in the field of prostate cancer, and erectile dysfunction. Recently, he completed one of the most comprehensive review articles on the status of HIFU in treatment of prostate cancer. He was trained in HIFU at the University of Indiana, where Phase I FDA clinical trials were just getting underway and has remained actively treating and teaching the procedure since.
Dr Suarez has actively volunteered his services to his community and is the past president of the League Against Cancer (www.leagueagainstcancer.com), a Miami based non-for-profit organization in which doctors volunteer their time and services, as well raised donations to treat cancer victims who have limited or no economic resources. The organization received the President’s Community Volunteer award in 1990, by former President George H. Bush. Several years later The United States Congress commended Dr. Suarez for his continued community volunteer activities, and again was personally recognized by President Bush in 2002 for volunteer spirit and for changing the lives of so many.
In 2006, Dr. Suarez was recognized by Minority Business and Professionals Network as one of the top 50 influential minorities in America for his pioneer work and achievements in bringing HIFU technology to North America.
Dr Suarez has served as a consultant and/or speaker to some of the most prestigious medical companies such as: American Medical Systems, Pfizer, Boeringer Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Mentor, and Astra Zeneca among others.
He currently practices as a urologist in Miami.
Why Choose International HIFU Centers?
PERSONALIZED CONCIERGE Medical Care, 24 Hours / 7 Days Per Week:
Most Miami urology medical treatments, including HIFU, are performed in brief time frame. In fact, diagnosis, arriving at a treatment decision and post-treatment care consumes the majority of patient-doctor time and care. By offering PERSONALIZED- CONCIERGE medical care, our patients have 24/7 access to Dr. Suarez.