Do you have an overactive bladder? According to best Miami urologist Dr. George Suarez, that might be the case if you:
- Are constantly going to the bathroom;
- Have a nagging need to urinate;
- Wake up during the night to urinate;
- Sometimes don’t make it to the bathroom in time.
Don’t worry – you’re not alone. According to the Urology Care Foundation, about 30 percent of men in the U.S. suffer these symptoms of an overactive bladder. This condition can often be attributed to an enlarged prostate or bladder muscles that are not functioning correctly due to age.
If the symptoms of OAB are impacting your life, your urologist Miami offers these suggestions:
1. See your urologist. Your urologist Miami will evaluate your symptoms, do an examination and run tests to find out why you’re having symptoms.
2. Maintain a diary. Keep track of what you drink, how much and how often – as well as how often you use the bathroom and how much urine you leak.
3. Cut down on caffeine. Caffeine in coffee, tea and soda can irritate the bladder and make the urge to go stronger, so cutting back may help.
4. Lose weight. If you’re overweight or obese, losing weight can drastically improve your symptoms.
5. Try Kegel exercises. According to your urologist Miami, performing 30 – 40 Kegel exercises per day can reduce frequent urges to urinate.
6. Retrain your bladder. You can condition your bladder to function properly by teaching yourself how to suppress the urge to urinate with a Kegel exercise followed by a waiting period.
9. Take medication. There are several classes of medications that can help symptoms, so talk to your urologist Miami about which one is right for you.
10. Get Botox injections. The same cosmetic that plumps wrinkles can actually help your bladder when medication doesn’t work by relaxing the muscles in the local area and partially paralyzing them so they can’t contract.
12. Consider surgery. There are several surgical procedures that can repair obstructive causes of OAB like pelvic prolapse, but it’s important to talk to your urologist Miami about your options and the risks.
If you’re suffering from the symptoms of OAB, call the office of best urologist Miami Dr. George Suarez today to schedule an appointment.